I made two kinds of cupcakes for Christmas. First, I made my mom’s favorite: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes. The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. I highly recommend the cookbook, despite a few errors and inconsistencies.
One of my Christmas presents (thanks Mom and Dad) was Appetite for Reduction by one of the same authors. It focuses on healthy vegan recipes with ‘no fake anything.’ I can’t wait to try out some recipes!
Anyway, here’s the recipe for the Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (most important ingredient)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a heavy muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for a minute.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and beat until foamy.
- Sift in the dry ingredients in 3-4 batches. Beat until no lumps remain.
- Divide among 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Here’s the recipe for the frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Cream together vegan butter and shortening.
- Sift in cocoa powder and sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Add a splash of soy milk with each addition of sugar.
- Add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread over cupcakes, adding sprinkles if desired.