I got a copy of Appetite for Reduction for Christmas. It is full of simple, healthy vegan recipes.
The first recipe I tried was for Chickpea Piccata. It’s basically a vegan version of Chicken Piccata. It also allowed me to use some leftover mashed potatoes and cauliflower. My dad made the mashed potatoes and cauliflower for Christmas dinner.
It turned out delicious. So far, so good with my new cookbook!
The recipe is really simple. I had all the ingredients on hand except the arugula and lemon.
- Olive oil for the pan
- 1 cup of thinly sliced shallots
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup vermouth (Not being a wine drinker, I use Gallo Vermouth for cooking. It doesn’t go bad like wine does.)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A pinch of dried thyme
- 16 oz can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup capers with some brine (my dad makes the best pasta salad with capers – love them)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (took 1/2 a lemon for me)
- 4 cups arugula
- Saute the shallots and garlic with a little olive oil in a heavy pan.
- When the shallots soften, add the breadcrumbs and toast.
- Add the broth, wine, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add the chickpeas and bring back to a boil.
- Turn off heat and add stir in the lemon juice.
- Layer chickpea mixture over arugula and mashed cauliflower and potatoes.