On Wednesday I made another recipe from my new obsession, Appetite for Reduction. All the recipes are simple and delicious and the vegan mac and cheese is no exception.
Here’s what I made:
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 8 oz pasta (I used Barilla macaroni – it has a cute corkscrew shape and ridges to hold the cheese sauce)
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried chopped onions (Gotta love the 5th Season spices that only cost 50 cents)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta to the boiling water. Set timer according to package directions. Put the broccoli in a steamer basket at the top of the pot.
- In a saucepan, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Cook over medium low heat, whisking often, until thickened.
- When the timer goes off, set the broccoli aside and drain the pasta. Combine the pasta, broccoli and cheese & serve.