The best part of this recipe is that you just throw everything into a crock pot in the morning and in the evening you come home to a great pot of soup. There’s no pre-sautéing, just a little chopping and measuring. All the ingredients are easy to find and it’s cheap to make.
Here’s what I make:
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 7 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 pound uncooked black beans, well rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 7 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Pico de gallo or crumbled tortilla chips as a garnish
- Add all the ingredients to the crock pot and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for at least 8 hours.