I wanted to come up with a vegan version of my favorite chocolate chip banana bread recipe. I read up on egg substitutes, flax-seed, etc. but then I just winged it. I made my standard recipe, but I left out the egg. And strangely enough, there was no detectable difference. The banana bread was as delicious as ever!
I always have at least 20 frozen bananas in the freezer, just in case there is some sort of banana shortage (I’m half kidding). Most banana plants are genetically identical, so one disease could wipe them out. Anyway, back to cooking.
Here’s the recipe (adapted from my original post):
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl mash together the banana and sugar.
- Stir in the flour, oil and baking soda.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix into the center of the loaf. (this prevents the chocolate chips from burning on the outside of the loaf)
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top looks set.