I always seem to have leftovers of certain ingredients. I could put them in my freezer, but then I forget about them. By the time I pull them out, I wouldn’t dare eat them. This recipe allows me to put leftover canned tomatoes and vegetable broth to good use. It’s easy to double the recipe and work with the amount of ingredients you have on hand. It’s really rich and doesn’t have any of the bitterness that tomato soup can sometimes have. The key is to really cook the onions well.
Vegan Tomato Soup
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 14 oz canned tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of black pepper
- In a heavy pot, sauté onions in olive oil until they are golden.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender. You can also use a blender in batches, releasing the steam as you go.
- Bring back to a simmer and serve.