I made the most amazing red lentil curry last week. We liked it so much that I am making it again this week. It was so spicy and satisfying, but really healthy too. Only thing is, it doesn’t photograph well. I’ll have to work on that
Red Lentil Curry
Adapted from All Recipes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons curry paste (I used Patak’s Extra Hot Curry Paste)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14.25 ounce can tomato purée
- Rinse lentils in a strainer until the water runs clear. Add lentils to a medium pot and cover them with water. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl, stir together all the spices.
- In a large pot, sauté onions in olive oil until they are golden.
- Add spice mixture and continue to cook until spices are fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and bring to a simmer.
- When the lentils are ready, drain any excess liquid and add them to the tomato mixture.
- Serve over rice or with naan.